From heat waves to fireworks, summer can take a toll on pets’ emotional and physical wellness. According to some pet experts, the heart of relief for a number of common seasonal pet woes is CBD. Here are some insights into how to use it, plus additional measures you can take for a safe, healthy summer with pets.
• Fireworks and thunder: Unexpected noises can be extremely frightening for pets, causing what’s known as situational stress. If possible, try administering Calming CBD-infused Edibites, which contains soothing and relaxing properties, about an hour before you expect fireworks or thunderstorms to occur. (Helpful hint: it can also be used to relieve situational stress associated with travel, guests, etc.)
• Exercise also helps. Whether you take an extra-long walk or play fetch, wearing your pet out earlier in the day might help them stay calm or even sleep through noise disruptions. Additionally, you can prepare by setting up a quiet space for your pet, full of their favorite blankets and toys. Finally, be mindful that pets often react to loud noises by running away. According to the ASPCA, one-in-five pets that go missing run off after hearing loud noises like fireworks. Bring cats indoors during storms and fireworks. If you must take a dog outside, keep them securely leashed. Microchips and up-to-date ID tags can help you safely reunite with your pet should they go missing.
• Heat: If you’re sweating, there’s a good chance your pet is too. Keep pets hydrated by constantly refilling their bowls with fresh, clean water. Choose mornings or evenings for exercising with dogs to avoid the hottest part of the day. On scorchers, avoid paw-to-pavement contact, letting your dog walk in the grass instead. If your pup’s paws do get affected by the hot pavement, applying a topical CBD solution such as Canna Care from Pet Releaf can help relieve the burn. Finally, beat the heat with regular grooming — however, don’t shave your pet’s fur — their coat protects them from sunburn.
• Allergies: Allergies can wear pets down in numerous ways, including weakening their immune system. CBD hemp oil however can offer an immunity boost by activating the body’s two-way communication system between the brain and the immune system.
A common allergy symptom is rash, which can cause pets to scratch and bite their skin, only worsening irritation. To treat rash, consider using CBD hemp oil to support a healthy inflammatory response and ease stress, along with a topical CBD product to soothe skin irritations.
• Hip and joint discomfort: Summer may mean an uptick in nature hikes and long days at the dog park. As a result, your dog may experience hip or joint discomfort. Consider adding a beneficial supplement to their everyday regimen, like Hip & Joint Edibites, which contains full-spectrum hemp extract with naturally occurring CBD, along with glucosamine and chondroitin, a combination known to help maintain normal healthy cartilage and joint function, as well as support joint flexibility and mobility. Depending on your pet’s health needs, you may want to upgrade to a higher potency pet CBD product like a hemp oil that you can massage onto their joints.
Unsure which CBD solution will work best for your pet? Check out Pet Releaf’s Product Finder tool at www.petreleaf.com/product-finder, which factors in age, weight, level of discomfort and wellness needs. Use the code RELEAF25 through July 31, 2021 to receive 25% off and free shipping.
With the right tools and knowledge, you can support your pet’s wellness this summer and protect them from common seasonal health and safety hazards.
PHOTO SOURCE: (c) expeditionhusky
Leave a Comment