By Kiarra Solomon
The numbers are up for entrepreneurs, especially among millenials. Currently, small businesses make up more than 99% of all employers. That said, it’s important to that small businesses succeed. A strong public relations strategy is a very important to the success of any small business.
According to PR expert, Chi Chi Enigwe, owner of The Phoenix PR, the biggest mistake that small businesses make, is not having a public relations plan. “Without a public relations strategy you cannot have a successful business. Start by educating yourself on public relations through seminars and other resources like Small Business Development Centers.”
Enigwe, whose clients include ChrisMirr Enterprises, Revolt TV host, DJ Damage, and Studio Beau Visage in LA, recommends that small business owners at the very least schedule a consultation with a publicist or PR firm. “This will help get you pointed in the right direction and lay the foundation of your strategy.”
Here are some other Do’s and Don’ts Engiwe offers for every small business owner:
1. Do have a clear understanding of your company’s message. What does your company do? Clearly define your company’s brand, and image. Once you figure out your company’s image you can determine which outlets are best for your conveying your brand.
2. Once you’ve clearly defined your company’s brand, use social media to support your brand and convey your message. Avoid using social media to voice opinions or display personal life. Your social media sites should clearly convey your brand.
3. Educate yourself about public relations. The internet is a great place to start, but attending workshops and seminars can also be very beneficial. You will undoubtedly find tons of information. Be selective and only do what’s best for your company,
1. Public relations is built on relationships. The number one thing to remember is that you do not want to destroy relationships. No matter what industry you are in you will need people. Build relationships and avoid tarnishing them.
2. It’s worth reiterating that you should leave personal feelings and opinions off your social media sites. There are tons of stories of people who said the wrong thing on the internet and have had to apologize.
3. Don’t ever forget the overall goal of any PR strategy is to share your company’s message. If something isn’t doing that effectively, you should remove it from your PR plan.
The Phoenix PR firm is based in Philadelphia and Los Angeles. To find out more about The Phoenix PR visit www.thephoenixpr.com.