Dog Shelter Requirements
City ordinance requires all dogs to be either indoors, or have access to shelter that meets the following requirements:
- Suitable size to accommodate the dog in both standing and lying positions
- Moisture-proof, windproof, ventilated, and in cold temperatures shall promote the retention of body heat
- Made of durable material with a solid, moisture-proof floor raised at least two inches from the ground
- Contain clean bedding material consisting of hay, straw, cedar shavings or the equivalent to provide insulation and protection against cold and dampness
- Access to drinking water available in a clean, liquid state. Snow or ice is not an acceptable water source
- Free from excessive dirt, trash and waste
Code Blue Events
During City declared Code Blue events (defined as when the temperature, wind chill and precipitation combined together result in “real feel” temperatures near or below 20 degrees Fahrenheit), dog shelters must also meet the following additional requirements or face penalties of $500 or more:
-Windbreak at the entrance
Code Red Events
During City declared Code Red events (defined as when the National Weather Service extended weather forecast includes at least three consecutive days of 95° F or above temperatures with high humidity), dogs must also receive the following additional shelter or face penalties of $500 or more:
– all dogs must be afforded one or more separate areas of shade large enough to accommodate the entire body of the dog at one time and protect it from the direct rays of the sun.
Report a Violation
If you would like to report a dog left outdoors in severe weather, call 267-385-3800 and dial 1 to speak with the dispatcher or file a report online here with all the details you have available.
Free Straw Bedding
ACCT Philly is providing free straw bedding for caretakers or owners of pets and community cats who spend most or all of their time outdoors. Straw is available for pick-up during lobby hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Weekends and Holidays, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Need Help or Have a Question?
Need help keeping in compliance with the city ordinance requirements? Contact us at [email protected] or call 267-385-3800.