Summer brings with it abundant sunshine, fresh foods and fun activities which is why the season inspires many people to be happy and healthy. With a few simple tips, you too can refresh your lifestyle and feel your very best.
Chelsie Hightower, the Emmy-nominated professional dancer from the hit show “Dancing with the Stars,” has put together some healthy lifestyle tips:
- Make healthy meal choices. “I personally love sushi. Fish and vegetables are essential for my weekly protein, and it’s even healthier with brown rice,” says Hightower.
- Hop in a steam bath. After working out, steam helps relax sore muscles and boost your immune system.
- Use summer as a reason to try new activities. Take hikes, go swimming, or learn yoga.
- Keep a food journal. Once you see everything you eat written down in front of you, it’s easier to make more realistic goals and changes.
- Dance to your own beat. Realize that no two body types are the same and what works on others won’t necessary work for you. You need to understand your own body’s rhythm and set realistic goals.
- Make healthy food more interesting with unique and delicious recipes. “I enjoy finding recipes online and then trying them at home. Old London has some great recipes on their Facebook page,” Hightower says.
One of Hightower’s favorite recipes combines the tropical flavors of Hawaii for the perfect, healthful summer treat packed with whole grain and fiber:
Coconut Pudding of Oahu
2 boxes of Old London Melba Toast Unsalted Whole Grain or Classic
2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
2 1/2 cups canned cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)-once you open the can stir the contents well.
2 cups light coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs
Vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Arrange one box of Melba Toast in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish.
3. Sprinkle with half of the coconut, top with remaining box of Melba and remaining cup of coconut.
4. In a separate bowl, combine cream of coconut, coconut milk, sugar and vanilla in heavy large saucepan.
5. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is just warm; remove from heat.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs to blend then add to warm milk mixture.
7. Pour mixture over toasts in baking dish using back of spoon to push bread gently into milk mixture.
8. Let stand 15 minutes then bake until pudding is set and golden brown, about 50 to 60 minutes.
9. Top with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream (optional).
Energize the spirit, enrich the mind and toast to your health by making Old London a part of your everyday active, healthy lifestyle. Old London’s better-for-you snacks product line Melba Snacks, Melba Toast and new Bagel Chips come in bold flavors, such as Spicy Cheddar, Sesame and Sea Salt to pair up with any topper, dip or spread for a nutritious mid-day snack, party appetizer or unique, Hawaiian-inspired recipes, available on Old London’s Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/OldLondonFoods.