Multicultural Children’s Book Day (MCBD) is just two years old, but founders Mia Wenjen and Valerie Budayr have achieved tremendous success and online support for diversity awareness. They’ve put thousands of free books into kids’ hands and they’re changing lives with their message. Last year on January 27th, Multicultural Children’s Book Day, they — along with support from corporations, teams of bloggers, teachers and librarians — made multicultural book news trend on Twitter at #ReadYourWorld.
Now, partnered with Junior Library Guild and even more corporate and author sponsors, they are looking to move the needle even further. Plus, with their new $25 MCDB Friends sponsorship program, everyone can participate by giving a shout out to their favorite diversity books for less than the cost of dinner out.
Visit www.multiculturalbookday.com for resource lists of thousands of books about diverse cultures and issues. Topics include Teaching Compassion, Mixed Race Celebrations, Combating Racism, Immigration, Islam, Selecting Diversity Board Books, Activities for the Day of the Dead, and Celebrating Chinese New Year. There are also books lists about cultures in every corner of the world and that tie into our daily news headlines.
Join us January 27th to effect change.
What is Happening for Multicultural Children’s Book Day, January 27th?
• Huge Diversity Book Giveaway during #ReadYourWorld Twitter Party from 9-10pm EST on 1/27/16. Discussion on state of diversity books for kids. What’s needed from parents’ perspective.
• Last year #ReadYourWorld hashtag trended on Twitter on January 27th.
• LINKY Party of 150+ Bloggers who will be sharing their book reviews.
What’s FREE from Multicultural Children’s Book Day?
• BLOGGERS (Parenting, Lifestyle, Book Reviewers, Teachers, Librarians): Free diversity book to bloggers who will post a book review on January 27th. http://www.pragmaticmom.com/2015/10/multicultural-childrens-book-day-blogger-sign-sign/
• TEACHERS: Free hardcover diversity book for teachers’ classroom library: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/our-programs/mccbd-2016-classroom-reading-challenge/
• EVERYONE: Free downloadable Multicultural Children’s Book Day poster designed by illustrator Robert Liu-Trujillo: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/free-downloadable-multicultural-childrens-book-day/
• EVERYONE: We have hand selected the best content from educational and children’s book bloggers. This is an extensive list of diversity books and extension activities for kids sorted by country, holiday, ethnicity, genre, and age group: http://multiculturalchildrensbookday.com/multicultural-reading-resources/diversity-book-lists-for-kids/
• EVERYONE: Packages of diversity books for kids will be given out every 5 minutes during our Twitter Party on 1/27/16.