Image

6:40 PM / Tuesday November 29, 2022

9 Jul 2010

Caster Semenya to be cleared to race again

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
July 9, 2010 Category: Diaspora Posted by:

By Lesego Motshegwa

and Gerald Imray

ASSOCIATED PRESS

 

Caster Semenya’s father said she told him she is going to be cleared to return to athletics.

 

Jacob Semenya told The Associated Press that he had spoken to the 19-year-old runner on Tuesday morning and she was happy and was waiting for a formal announcement allowing her to return to competition following her controversial gender tests last year.

 

“She told me she doesn’t have any problems, and she is happy,” Jacob said.

 

The International Association of Athletics Federations and Semenya’s advisers were expected to announce the 800-meter world champion’s return on Tuesday, although neither side made any formal comment regarding a decision. It is still unclear if the runner has undergone any medical procedure or treatment during her layoff that allows her to keep running as a woman.

 

Jacob said his daughter, who has not competed since she underwent the tests after her victory at the world championships last August, was waiting to hear if she would be appearing on television in South Africa to make the announcement.

 

“She is waiting to hear from her people,” he said.

 

The expected announcement will bring to an end an 11-month saga involving the teenage athlete, who burst onto the world scene in Berlin where she dominated the 800 final as an 18-year-old to win gold in her first major event.

 

However, her dramatic improvement in times and muscular build led the IAAF to order the gender verification tests.

 

Semenya was welcomed as a national hero in South Africa following her stunning victory but reports of the gender tests and stories in the Australian media saying Semenya had both male and female sex organs caused outrage in her home country and led some public officials to rally behind her.

 

Last month, South Africa’s sports ministry abruptly canceled a news conference where it was expected to announce Semenya’s return to athletics.

 

Semenya’s lawyers said they had been told the briefing, which was to be hosted by South Africa’s Minister of Sport Makhenkesi Stofile, had been called off because the executive committee of the IAAF had not received a “formal briefing” on Semenya’s case by medical officials.

 

Semenya could return to competition at the world junior championships in Moncton, New Brunswick, starting on July 19. However, her coach Michael Seme has said she was not race fit.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Leave a Comment

Recent News

Local

Message from Catherine Hicks Philadelphia Branch NAACP President and Publisher of the SUN on passing of former PA Senator T. Milton Street

November 29, 2022

Tweet Share Pin Email The Philadelphia Branch NAACP and the Philadelphia SUN family, is saddened to hear...

Stateside

Buffalo gunman pleads guilty in racist supermarket massacre

November 28, 2022

Tweet Share Pin Email By CAROLYN THOMPSON BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The white gunman who massacred 10...

Week In Review

Biden admin to ask high court to take up student debt plan

November 24, 2022

Tweet Share Pin Email ABOVE PHOTO: Light illuminates part of the Supreme Court building on Capitol Hill...

Politics

Georgia runoff: Why one Senate seat is crucial for Democrats

November 24, 2022

Tweet Share Pin Email ABOVE PHOTO: This combination of photos shows, Sen. Raphael Warnock, D-Ga., speaking to...

Health

How to shop for the right Medicare plan and avoid costly mistakes

November 24, 2022

Tweet Share Pin Email BPT Inflation is putting the squeeze on all Americans, but no one is...

Color Of Money

Top financial to-dos to end the year strong and prepare for 2023

November 24, 2022

Tweet Share Pin Email BPT  The holidays are a time full of good cheer, but not necessarily...

The Philadelphia Sunday Sun Staff