PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia Department of Public Health Tuesday announced 242 additional presumptive confirmed cases of COVID-19 novel coronavirus in Philadelphia. That brings the number of confirmed cases to 1315. Of those, 87 are or have been hospitalized.
Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley confirmed five additional fatalities in Philadelphia. This brings the number of residents who have succumbed to the virus in Philadelphia to 14.
Also today, Mayor Kenney addressed last night’s shooting in North Philadelphia of five people, including two children, in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. “This incident is horrible by itself, but the fact that it comes as the impact of this virus is felt in every neighborhood of Philadelphia is even more gut-wrenching,” said the Mayor. “We need everyone to come together to stop gun violence at any time, but never more so than right now. Let’s do our part for the health professionals battling COVID-19 every day, by putting the guns down so these brave women and men have every hospital bed, ventilator, and resource they need to keep fighting the virus.”
The Mayor noted that Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw has directed her officers to continue their enforcement of the City’s “Stay at Home” Order. “This enforcement will consist of warnings — and the officers have discretion to issue citations,” he said.
“Others can help as well. We are calling on the District Attorney to vigorously enforce all firearm-related charges during this time of crisis. It is imperative that we send a clear message: gun violence will not be taken lightly. That is a message the DA can reinforce in his Office’s handling of all such cases going forward,” the Mayor said.
Just as residents can slow the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home and social distancing, there are practical actions they can take to prevent gun violence.
- City’s COVID-19 homepage: phila.gov/covid-19.
- COVID-19 resources translated in multiple languages.
- Greater Philadelphia Coronavirus Helpline: 1 (800) 722-7112.
- Residents can text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to get updates sent to their phones.
- Citizens Bank Community-Based Testing Site is operational daily pending inclement weather. Find out more about testing for COVID-19.
- Updates and guidance for Philadelphia employees and employers.
- Information and resources for workers.
- The PHL COVID-19 Fund continues to solicit donations to aid nonprofits that are on the frontline of the pandemic.
- For Businesses:
- Business owners or managers who have questions about the restrictions in the City’s latest Business Activity and Stay at Home Order can email [email protected].
- L&I guidance on construction work following City Business Activity and Stay at Home Order.
- The City is extending filing and payment dates for Real Estate and some business taxes.
- Additional resources for businesses can be found here.