By Leah Fletcher
Before shampooing your hair, consider undertaking an intensive conditioning treatment. Doing a pre-shampoo or pre-poo treatment, preps you hair for the process, which can be harsh, to prevent it from becoming too dry.
What is a pre-poo? It is an intensive conditioning treatment undertaken before washing your hair. It can be done using a natural oil, conditioner or a combination of both. Evelyn Lamb, who sports a natural, said she chooses to use oil. “I prefer coconut oil because it doesn’t just sit on top of my hair like other oils do.” Coconut oil is a popular conditioning agent, according to hairstylist Jackie Gilbert, because it penetrates the hair shaft and moisturizes from the inside out. “If you opt to use a mixture of oil and conditioner, be sure to mix natural oils with no added ingredients,” added Gilbert.
But what you use as a pre-poo, opined Gilbert, is entirely up to you. “Some prefer using a protein conditioner/treatment, while others prefer a deep conditioning with a moisturizing treatment,” she explained. Expanding on the point, she noted, “There are a variety of great options that include oils and humectants, such as honey, and conditioner. To derive the most benefit from for your pre-poo, select a product that ultimately benefits your hair.
Gilbert advised taking the following steps to achieve the ultimate pre-poo:
• Gather and select the ingredients for your pre-poo
• Detangle your hair with a wide-tooth comb
• Divide your hair into several sections
• Apply your pre-poo treatment of choice to each section
• Cover your head with a plastic cap. At this point, you can sleep with the treatment on your head overnight or leave it on for about an hour before you wash. Some follow the latter and sometimes sit under a hooded dryer.
Doing a pre-poo ultimately conditions your hair cuticle and gets it prepared for the manipulation of your hair during the washing, conditioning and styling routine.