Black skin is beautiful, but many Black women don’t like to have unusually darker skin around the elbows, knees and even the underarms. This common problem among African Americans is called hyperpigmentation. Pigmentation means coloring. Your skin gets its color from a pigment called melanin. Increased melanin in the elbows and knees will make the skin darker.
There are many natural cures to eliminate dark elbows and knees. All are safe and utilize common household ingredients. Here are just five:
- Use a loofah sponge or brush to scrub the knees and elbows while bathing. It will help lighten the skin by getting rid of dead skin cells.
- Apply lemon juice to the elbows and knees, using a cotton ball or soft cloth. Lemon juice’s citric acid will help fades spots and even your skin tone. Avoid areas that have cuts or scrapes — the lemon juice will sting!
- Apple cider vinegar works much the same as lemon juice. Its acetic acid acts as a natural bleaching agent.
- Coconut oil contains vitamin E which will help lighten underarm skin. Massage in into your underarms before showering for about 10-15 minutes.
- Over-the-counter fading creams will also help fade darker skin areas. One recommended by Oprah Magazine is Ambi Skin Discoloration Fade Cream. It contains 2 percent hydroquinone, which helps dissolve the melanin and costs only $5.50.
Try these solutions daily for best results. In a few weeks, you will see a difference.