Sun Hair-Nail Art
Nail art designs are endless and achievable with an active imagination and a steady hand
By Leah Fletcher
Nail art design exceeds the conventional manicure and gives you an opportunity to express your own creative style. Nail art, like makeup, is an easy and inexpensive way to modify your appearance when you want to match an outfit or alter your mood. Nail art services are offered in most salons.
And, with the right tools, some time and creativity, you can easily create your own designs less expensively.
How to design your nails at home with nail art
• Assemble the items you need. Sit in a comfortable chair.
• Trim your nails to a designed length. Smooth and shape them with a nail file. It’s important to prep the nails with a manicure to remove any cuticles and to clean the nail of existing polish.
• Apply clear base coat and allow it to dry. Applying a clear base coat can prevent yellowing of the nails. Now, apply colored coats as the backdrop for your nail “canvass” and allow it to dry.
• Insert a toothpick into contrasting design color(s) of choice and apply to the fingernail. Experiment with various designs such as flowers, wavy lines, zebra stripes, or abstracts. Allow the polish to dry completely.
• Correct any mistakes with a cotton swab or Q-tip dipped in polish remover.
• Apply a clear top coat to seal and allow to dry completely. If desired you may embellish nails with gemstones or stickers for the final touch.
Here are some design tips:
• Clear base and top costs may be purchased as an “all-in-one” product at some stores.
• Think outside the box with color and design. You can use as many different colors and designs as your personality allows. .
• Browse the web and review beauty magazines for inspiration and ideas on popular designs.
• Embellishments don’t have to be made explicitly for nail art use. You may find embellishments small enough in craft aisles or stores.
• Practice your nail designs on a piece of paper to ensure better control.
• Be careful because embellishments may snag clothing or scratch delicate surfaces.
Above all, remember when it comes to nail art designs, the possibilities are endless. With an active imagination and a steady hand, you can create virtually any design imaginable.
+ Top Story
For a time, finding useful hair styling and grooming tips for Black men proved to be difficult. But increasingly, ethnic-oriented hairstylists and male fashion gurus are expanding the options and exploring variations on hairstyles for black men that work with their natural texture.
A facial is considered one of the best ways to care for your skin, especially when it is given by an experienced and knowledgeable esthetician. While most women hear the term “facial” bandied about and they have often thought about getting a professional facial, many don’t know where to begin. So...
You are looking in the mirror and examining the face that is staring back at you. Upon further examination, you begin communicating with the visage about the desire for a new look. You ask the question: Is the answer new makeup, a new hairstyle, or a new hair color?
A Hollywood entertainment blog recently featured a photo montage of high profiled actresses and models captured on what appeared to be their “bad hair days”. An international model, who shall remain nameless, but noted for sporting long flowing weaves, happen to wear her hair in a sweeping updo.
The age-old debate still rages on among African American women regarding choices surrounding natural or relaxed hairstyles. There are those who prefer natural hair ranging from curly to kinky or somewhere in between. And, there are those who go to great expense to straighten their hair.
There are a variety of innovative methods African American women use extensions to twist their hair. The most common are Kinky Twists, Senegalese Twists and Havana twists. However, it’s the Havana Twists hairstyle that is gaining in popularity.
As the fall season approaches, many will consider selecting a new hair routine for the cooler season. During the summer months, many African American women considered options that included curly hairstyles, loose waves and natural styles.