Two Ohio football players guilty of rape
More evidence to be considered against others involved
ABOVE PHOTO: Ma’lik Richmond covers his eyes and cries as his attorney Walter Madison, standing, asks the court for leniency after Richmond and co-defendant Trent Mays, lower left, were found delinquent on rape and other charges after their trial in juvenile court in Steubenville, Ohio, Sunday, March 17, 2013. Mays and Richmond were accused of raping a 16-year-old West Virginia girl in August 2012.
(AP Photo/Keith Srakocic, Pool)
[Read the commentary about this case HERE]
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio -- Two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Rust Belt city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community’s athletes.
Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma’Lik Richmond were sentenced to at least a year in juvenile jail, capping a case that came to light via a barrage of morning-after text messages, social media posts and online photos and video. Mays was sentenced to an additional year in jail on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, to be served after his rape sentence is completed.
The two teens broke down in tears after the verdict was read and later apologized to the victim and to the community. Both were emotional as they spoke, and Richmond struggled at times to talk through his sobs. Richmond’s father, Nathaniel, also asked that the victim’s family “forgive Malik and Trent for the pain they put you through.”
Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, were charged with digitally penetrating the West Virginia girl, first in the back seat of a moving car after an alcohol-fueled party on Aug. 11, and then in the basement of a house.
The case roiled the community amid allegations that more students should have been charged - accusations that Ohio’s attorney general pledged to look into - and led to questions about the influence of the local football team, a source of a pride in a community of 18,000 that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry. Their arms linked, protesters who sought guilty verdicts stood outside the courthouse Sunday morning, some wearing masks.
The trial opened last week as a contest between prosecutors determined to show the girl was so drunk she couldn’t have been a willing participant that night, and defense attorneys soliciting testimony from witnesses that would indicate that the girl, though drunk, knew what she was doing.
The teenage girl testified Saturday that she could not recall what happened the night of the attack but remembered waking up naked in a strange house after drinking at a party. The girl said she recalled drinking, leaving the party holding hands with Mays and throwing up later. When she woke up, she said she discovered her phone, earrings, shoes, and underwear were missing, she testified.
PHOTO: Trent Mays, 17,center, and co-defendant Ma’lik Richmond, 16, right, sit in the court room during a break on the fourth day of the juvenile trial for he and on rape charges in juvenile court on Saturday, March 16, 2013 in Steubenville, Ohio.
(AP Photo/Keith Srakocic, Pool)
“It was really scary,” she said. “I honestly did not know what to think because I could not remember anything.”
The girl said she believed she was assaulted when she later read text messages among friends and saw a photo of herself taken that night, along with a video that made fun of her and the alleged attack. She said she suspected she had been drugged because she couldn’t explain being as intoxicated as defense witnesses have said she was.
“They treated her like a toy,” said special prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter.
Evidence introduced at the trial included graphic text messages sent by numerous students after the night of the party, including by the accuser, containing provocative descriptions of sex acts and obscene language. Lawyers noted during the trial how texts have seemed to replace talking on the phone for contemporary teens. A computer forensic expert called by the state documented tens of thousands of texts found on 17 phones seized during the investigation.
In sentencing the boys, Judge Thomas Lipps urged everyone who had witnessed what happened in the case, including parents, “to have discussions about how you talk to your friends, how you record things on the social media so prevalent today and how you conduct yourself when drinking is put upon you by your friends.”
The girl herself recalled being in a car later with Mays and Richmond and asking them what happened.
“They kept telling me I was a hassle and they took care of me,” she testified. “I thought I could trust him (Mays) until I saw the pictures and video.”
In questioning her account, defense attorneys went after her character and credibility. Two former friends of the girl testified that the accuser had a history of drinking heavily and was known to lie.
“The reality is, she drank, she has a reputation for telling lies,” said lawyer Walter Madison, representing Richmond.
The two girls testified they were angry at the accuser because she was drinking heavily at the party and rolling around on the floor. They said they tried unsuccessfully to get her to stop drinking.
Nathaniel Richmond urged during the sentencing that parents speak to their children about “the dangers of alcohol and how it can lead to bad decisions that will affect the rest of your life.” He said he himself was an alcoholic.
The accuser said that she does not remember being photographed as she was carried by Mays and Ma’Lik Richmond, an image that stirred up outrage, first locally, then globally, as it spread online. Others have testified the photo was a joke and the girl was conscious when it was taken.
After the trial, the accuser’s mother rebuked the boys for “lack of any moral code.”
“You were your own accuser, through the social media that you chose to publish your criminal conduct on,” she said.
The photograph led to allegations that three other boys, two of them members of Steubenville High’s celebrated Big Red team, saw something happening that night and didn’t try to stop it but instead recorded it themselves.
The three boys weren’t charged, fueling months of online accusations of a cover-up to protect the team, which law enforcement authorities have vehemently denied.
Instead, the teens were granted immunity to testify, and their accounts helped incriminate the defendants. They said the girl was so drunk she didn’t seem to know what was happening to her and confirmed she was digitally penetrated in a car and later on a basement floor.
After Mays and Richmond were taken into custody Sunday, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said he planned to convene a grand jury next month to investigate whether anyone else should be charged in the case.
Noting that 16 people refused to talk to investigators, many of them underage, DeWine said possible crimes to be investigated include failure to report a felony and failure to report child abuse.
“This community desperately needs to have this behind them, but this community also desperately needs to know justice was done and that no stone was left unturned,” he said.
Mays and Richmond were determined to be delinquent, the juvenile equivalent of guilty, Lipps ruled in the juvenile court trial without a jury.
The length of their sentence beyond the minimum one year will be determined by juvenile authorities; they can be held until they’re 21. Lipps said that “as bad as things have been for all of the children involved in this case, they can all change their lives for the better.”
The accuser’s mother echoed that, saying the case “does not define who my daughter is. She will persevere, grow and move on.”
The Associated Press normally doesn’t identify minors charged in juvenile court, but Mays and Richmond have been widely identified in news coverage, and their names have been used in open court. The AP also does not generally identify people who say they were victims of sex crimes.
+ Top Story
Less than 48 hours before he was rushed to Chestnut Hill Hospital’s cardiac unit, Collins had been holding court at his spacious home in Laverock where he regularly hosted the annual summer social outing for the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists.
Mayor Michael A. Nutter, joined by City officials, announced a plan for the City of Philadelphia to borrow $50 million on behalf of the School District to ensure that the schools will open safely and on time for the 2013-14 school year. Prepared remarks below...
The picking at the Trayvon Martin wound in Black America’s heart and soul continues--as it should. A child is dead, a mother grieves, a community festers and the search for a credible outcome (even an incomplete one) is still ongoing. But reality is a cruel dictator. Nothing lasts forever.
NAACP Branch will hold a prayer vigil expressing the outrage on the Zimmerman verdict, the murder of Travon Martin and plans for future acts.
Long live the preacher; who also was the son and grandson of preachers. Long live the congressman who made history as the first African American Majority Whip of the U.S. House of Representatives, then the highest office any black official had ever achieved in our national government.
Cheerios commercials have a knack for being cute. Who remembers the little boy a few years ago singing “Nobody can say no to the honey nut oh in honey nut Cheerios, not your mama, not grandma, not even daddy…” I loved that commercial.
From now on, let’s call it for what it looks like- “Caucasian Network News,” because none of the 12 major correspondents featured in a recent full-color New York Times advertisement was African American or Hispanic. CNN’s latest featured line-up of news anchors now includes...
Our work doesn't stop at America's borders, and I want you to know what your support has made possible. In the wake of the devastating 2010 earthquake in Haiti, the NAACP funded four projects with the $200,000 that incredible NAACP supporters like you donated to help the country rebuild.